After the happy news of Picture Perfect, it’s the sad news of a favourite card retiring. Zoo Babies has been one of my go-to baby & 1st birthday sets for the last … forever!
I’m glad I got a chance to make & share this bendi card with you before this set is gone forever.
Zoo Babies is available in clear & wood…
Have you made a bendi card before? I first saw the idea when Nicole Wilson made her fabulous Botanical Gardens bendi card, which we recreated in a class a couple of months ago.
Since then I’ve made a few bendi cards, which I will share with you over the coming weeks.
The Zoo Babies bendi card was particularly special though as it celebrated one of the Team Papercrafters becoming a Mummy again! Congratulations Siobhan on the arrival of baby Samuel!
Bendi cards use tabs & slits to hold their shape when standing, but can be dismantled for storage or sending.
The Zoo Babies are so cute and I am going to miss them! But, wait til you see what baby sets we have to play with in June!!!
Want to make your own Bendi card? There are heaps of great tutorials available via a Google search. I have mapped out the measurements I used based on Nicole’s sketches (thanks Nic!) but with some tweaking so you could make 2 bendi cards from one piece of Australian sized A4 cardstock.
I’ve tried my best to explain the instructions below – I hope it helps you to be able to create your own bendi card! Kelly x
In writing, the basic instructions to make all your pieces are:
- Cut a piece of A4 cardstock along the long edge to 5-1/2 (you’ll now have a 5-1/2″ x 8-1/4″ piece of cardstock)
- Cut this again along the ‘new’ long edge at 4-1/4″, then again at 2-1/2″ (the final piece will be 1-1/2″)
- On the biggest piece, measure in 1-1/2″ from the right edge and 3-4/” from the bottom edge and mark a 1-1/4″ line. Cut this with a craft knife (note: don’t do the “I” pattern as shown on the picture – this is just to show where the line starts & finishes).
- On the next size piece, score 1/2″ from the left edge and 1/4″ from the right edge. Create a tab on the right by cutting out the top & bottom 3/4″ sections.
- Then, measure 2-1/2″ from the left edge and 1/2″ from the bottom edge. Mark a 3/4″ line and cut with a craft knife.
- On the smallest piece, score 1/4″ from the left edge and 1/2″ from the right edge. Create a tab on the left by cutting out the top & bottom 1/2″ sections.
To put your card together:
- Sit your largest piece flat in the orientation shown on the measurement picture.
- With your middle size piece, fold the 1/2″ section under the cardstock and adhere (with strong adhesive such as Tape & Tear) this to the left edge of your largest cardstock piece
- With the smallest piece, fold the 1/2″ section under the cardstock and adhere this to the right side of the largest cardstock piece.
- To make the card bendi, slot the tab from the middle size cardstock piece into the slit on the largest cardstock piece. Then slot the tab from the smallest cardstock piece into the slit on the middle sized cardstock piece.
Decorate your Bendi Card & wow your recipient!!!